Wednesday, July 07, 2010

21 Months

Elijah,

This month has been a bit of a roller coaster. Lots of ups and downs. It’s times like these that show you just how important family is. It’s times like these that I am grateful to have you to make me smile. And this month, you’ve done lots to make us smile.

I lost count

Here in the last couple of weeks, Daddy and I have noticed you *ahem* exploring your nose. A LOT. I will turn around in the car, and there it is. I’ll peek at you in the stroller, and you’re knuckle deep. I can’t help but laugh every time I see you picking, but I could do without you handing me your treasure.

My New Favorite Picture

Your vocabulary keeps growing. The most notable word that you added this month is “Yeah!” Every time you say it, you say it with such enthusiasm, that I just about have to go along with it. It has actually made things a little easier, since you can now let us know your opinion on snacks, drinks or toys.

"Go!" is another word you've picked up. You love to stand in front of the refrigerator and wait for Mommy or Daddy to countdown "3, 2, 1, GO!" You run as fast as you can through the kitchen and family room to the opposite wall (which is actually a pretty good jog), laughing the entire way.

IMG_6580

Much to my surprise, you’ve really started to like going to the pool. Last week you took off running while we were at the park. By the time I caught up with you, we were standing at the gate to the pool. I asked you if you wanted to go swimming, and you answered “Yeah!” So, we went home and changed into our suit and headed back. Each time we’ve gone, you cried a little bit less. You have started to let go of me while we’re in the pool, saying “Down, Down.” Now, you even climb the stairs and turn around to jump back into mommy’s arms! I always forget the camera when we go, so it’s now my goal to capture a picture of you splashing and having fun. (until then, a photo of the tub will have to do...)

Eli in the bath

You took your second plane trip this month. Yet again, you blew me away. You did great through the take off, and even got excited when you looked out the window to see that we were on a “Plane!” “Weee!!”

We were supposed to meet your Aunt Stacia at the Kansas City Airport. As we were landing, the plane made a very sudden turn. Now, Eli, you probably know by now that I am not a good flyer. But that scared me. Shortly after that happened, we learned that we were being diverted to Tulsa, OK. (Your fifth state!) During all of the chaos, you did great. You even stayed calm while you were on my lap during the landing in KC - a landing which I was sure we wouldn’t make. I have never been so scared in my life. And you just kept saying “Weeee.”

We spent a couple of days in Abilene this month, and you had so much fun. We read LOTS of books. Or, really, we read a few books a LOT of times. You loved to read “Go, Dog, Go!” You even went out with Daddy and Papa Po a couple of times to see some big trucks. I am not sure how much you liked it while you were there, but you get very excited when you see trucks now. I imagine that next summer you’ll be all over them.

Eli and Papa Po

It breaks my heart to write that this month, your Grandma Baker passed away. She fought a tough battle, and I know she did it because she wanted to be around for you and your cousins. She loved you so much that even in her last days she would get so happy when I told her about what you’ve learned and how you’ve grown.

It breaks my heart to know that you’ll never know either of my parents. I feel overwhelmed at the thought that their memories and stories will have to live on through me. Because they were both loving, funny, supportive parents, I hope that I can be half as good to you as they were to me.

I know that they’re both looking down on you, smiling. I mean, with a grandson as wonderful as you, how could they not?

happy boy

Love,
Mommy

No comments: