Thursday, April 07, 2011

2 and a Half

Elijah,

Even though for the last month I’ve been saying you’re “Almost 2 and a Half,” the fact that it became official today takes my breath away. Earlier this week, I hung some of your baby pictures in the stairwell. Every time I go upstairs, I glance at those pictures. I can’t remember you being that small. It was probably the sleep deprivation that wiped out my memory. But I still can’t believe it’s been TWO AND A HALF YEARS.

IMG_9229


I took you for a hair cut last week. On the drive there, I told you what we were doing, and that if you did well, you could have a balloon and a sucker afterwards. For the first time ever, I sat you down in the chair (which was actually a green tractor)- and you didn’t start screaming. You didn’t flinch. You sat there like a big boy and let the woman cut your hair. I couldn’t believe it. I kept gushing over how great you were doing. I couldn’t stop complimenting you - I was just certain that it would never get to this point! When we were done, you picked out a blue balloon and an orange sucker. You definitely deserved it!

IMG_9212


It’s no secret that we watch a lot of Yo Gabba Gabba in this house. We usually watch it in the mornings, while we’re waking up and eating breakfast. We have definite proof that you are learning from the show - You’ve started putting spoons on your nose!! It took you a few days to master the “Cool Trick,” but you seem to have figured it out. I’d really like to tell you not to play with your spoon, but how I can say that when the result is this cute?!

IMG_9293


Tonight, while burning off some energy before bedtime, you started to “‘Pin around” in the front room. You’d Spin, and Fall. Spin and Fall. You stood up one time and said “Wow! I gettin’ Bizzy!” Daddy and I looked at each other and chuckled a little bit. Daddy asked you if you were getting Dizzy. You replied, “No. Bizzy.” Kids do say the darndest things!

IMG_9290


Last week, you started asking me, “What?!” At first, I thought it was cute! It didn’t take long until it was no longer cute. Now it’s just downright annoying. If I ask you to pick up a toy, “What?!” If I answer a question you’ve asked, “What?!” I remember doing the same thing to my mom, never understanding why she’d get so upset with me. I guess I didn’t know it started so young.

IMG_9101


You’ve developed your first crush over the last couple of months. We’ve met our friends Erin and Al out for dinner or just to hang out a few times. You might be reluctant to get your shoes and socks on until we tell you that we’re going to see Baby Mia. You perk up immediately and repeat, “I go see Baby Mia??” It is one of the cutest things ever. It makes me so proud to see how loving you are with her. You just love her so much.

For the second time in your little life, Mommy lost her job. There was a day or two afterwards that I felt pretty sad about it. But now we’ve started playing every day; laughing, reading, running, snuggling - I’m over it. I love spending my days with you. I feel blessed to have this opportunity right now - even if it is just for a short time. I look forward to picnics in the park, swimming this summer, going for long walks, and finding rocks in the back yard.

IMG_9310


I tried to get an official 2 and a Half year photo tonight, but you just didn’t want to sit still. I was about to be sad about it, but then I realized that the blurred, jumping, spinning photos that I got summed up 2 and a Half perfectly. They’re fun and silly. Just like you.

2 and a half


I love you, Buster Brown!

Love,
Mommy

No comments: