Tuesday, April 13, 2010

18 Months

Elijah,

(I have to apologize, Eli. While I really did write this letter on your 18 month birthday, I wasn’t able to put it all together until a week later. Once you read on, you’ll realize why…)

Today you turn a year and a half old. Daddy and I decided that we’d give you a special gift for your half-birthday: A new home! Just over 9 months ago we started the process of building a new house. This week, we finally get the keys and get to start moving in.

IMG_5438

For the past week we’ve been staying with a friend, because our new house wasn’t ready when we moved out of the old house. I was really worried about how you would handle this transition. You’ve surprised me, just like you always do; you’ve handled it like a champ. You’ve loved having a dog to chase after. You’ve loved terrorizing her cat. I have a feeling that come this weekend, you’ll miss having your new friends around.

eli and zoie

Before we were completely out of the old house, we had our first family picnic where the dining room table used to stand. I didn’t really know what to expect, but you sat right down with your plate and ate. You didn’t move until you were done. You even stole food off of Mommy and Daddy’s plates. You must have been starving!

IMG_5466

Your list of words is growing. “Uh-Oh” is your word of choice now. You say it when anything happens. I hear you say it over and over again from your crib. It’s a funny way to wake up. It really makes me wish that we had invested in a video monitor. Who knows why you are saying it. You’re also saying “wow-wa” (flower), “bubbo” (bubble), “shee” (shoe), “chee” (tree), and many others that I can’t seem to think of right now.

Now that spring has sprung, you love to spend time outside. We’ve gone to the park a few times already, and you just love to run around. I am so looking forward to being in the new house because not only will you have a big yard to play in, but the neighborhood park is within walking distance. I think I’m just as happy for the warmer weather as you are.

Mommy's little tree hugger...

I went on a mini-shopping spree last week, hoping to buy you clothes for the warmer weather coming up. I bought some shorts and short sleeved shirts; some 18 months, and some 24 months. I brought them home, and decided to go ahead and wash them, since the weather was supposed to be nice. The next morning, as I grabbed a pair of shorts and started to put them on you, I noticed that they were just a little snug. They looked huge when I picked them up off of the rack, but they aren’t. They’re just about too small for you. I hope to get at least a few weeks wear out of them. But it’s definitely official – you are in 24 months. My baby is getting so big!

Ready for March Madness to begin

One of my favorite things you’ve started to do this month is give Mommy and Daddy lovies. You love to come running towards us with your arms wide open to give us hugs. If we’re holding you and we ask if you’ll give us a hug, you lay your head down on our shoulders. Your wet, slobbery kisses are pretty sweet, too. If I could have you hug me all day long, I would let you.

What, Mom?

You can also point to some body parts when we ask you where they are; you know your eyes, ears, nose, mouth, head, belly, and toes. You love to point at Mommy and Daddy’s face, too. There have been times that I’ve thought I’d lose an eye while playing that game with you. You just get so enthusiastic!

You’ve been working hard on cutting more teeth. So far, you have 8 on top, and 6 on the bottom. I have noticed that you’ve started to chew on your fingers again, so I bet that you’ll soon have 2 more on the bottom. Hopefully after that, you’ll stop teething for a while. It seems like you’ve been cutting teeth non-stop for the last few months. Poor Kid, You need a break!

We were at the park today, and a woman there with her granddaughter smiled and asked how old you were. “A year and a half,” I answered. I had a hard time believing the words as they came out of my mouth. Time flies when you’re having fun. We’ve been having lots of fun, I guess.

Love you,
Mommy

No comments: