Exactly one year ago today, you made your grand appearance. I can hardly believe how fast it has gone.
Early that morning, I woke up having contractions. I woke Daddy up, we started timing them, and right away, decided that this was it. We jumped in the car, and drove to the hospital. We arrived shortly before 6 am. We had no idea how long of a day we had ahead of us.
After about 20 hours of labor, we threw in the towel and decided it was time for a c-section. We had no clue how big you were going to be, so when I looked over at you for the first time, I knew that there was no way you would have come any other way.

Over the past year, we've been through so much. I look through the pictures, and I get so overwhelmed. How much you've grown. How much you've learned. You're no longer a baby, Eli (although, you'll always be my baby). You're a little boy.
I look over those pictures and can barely remember you ever being that small. I can barely remember those nights where we were up with you too many times to count. How does that happen? It's only been a year, but I can barely remember.

This month, you mastered walking. You figured it out so quickly. We bought you your first (and second) pair of shoes. When we had you measured, the lady said that it would take you a few days to get the hang of it, that you would regress a little bit. But, when we put them on you to see how they fit, you stood right up and started walking around the store. I think you surprised her a little bit. You surprised Mommy and Daddy, too.

You started clapping one morning while we were eating breakfast. Out of the blue. Just started to clap. It was so sweet, I couldn't help but laugh and clap with you. Now, when you're happy you clap (you clap a lot). I love it when you start clapping along with the audience while we watch Wheel of Fortune (a part of our evening routine).
Last weekend, your Mama Jo and Papa Po came to visit you for a little pre-birthday celebration. They got here late Thursday night, so when you woke up Friday and had two new faces in the house, you were a bit surprised. You warmed up to them quickly, though. You enjoyed having your family around, so much so that the day they left, you walked around the house waving to yourself saying "bah, bah." It was the cutest thing.


Yesterday morning it really hit me that you are turning one. I sat on the floor next to you after breakfast and just watched you play. I started to tear up as I thought back over the past year, just as I am tearing up writing this letter to you.

We love you so much Eli. Our lives changed so much a year ago today. Daddy and I have enjoyed getting to know you, and learning from you. We can't wait to see what your second year brings.
Love,
Mommy
3 comments:
By far the best.
What Sunny said. :)
Ditto from MAW
Post a Comment